Important papers published since the 3rd edition
The Psychology of Language, 3rd Edition is a thorough revision and update of the popular second edition.
We will add details of new important papers published since the 3rd edition as and when they become available.
On the evolution of language
- Arensburg, B., Tillier, A.M., Vandermeersch, B., Duday, H., Schepartz L.A., & Rak, Y. (1989). A Middle Palaeolithic human hyoid bone. Nature, 338, 758-760.
- Kraus, J., et al. (2007). The derived FOXP2 variant of modern humans was shared with Neandertals. Current Biology, 17, 1908-1912.
On the critical period
- Bickerton, D. (2008). Bastard tongues. New York: Hill and Wang.
On language development
- Clark, E.V. (2009). First language acquisition (2nd. Ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
On language and thought
- Gordon, P. (2004). Numerical cognition without words: Evidence from Amazonia. Science, 306, 496-499.
- Pinker, S. (2007). The stuff of thought. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Cook, V. (2008). Second language learning and language teaching (4th ed.). London: Hodder Arnold.
- Johnston, R., & Watson, J.E. (2007). Teaching synthetic phonics. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Nicolson, R.I., & Fawcett, A.J. (2007). Procedural learning difficulties: Reuniting the developmental disorders? Trends in Neurosciences, 30, 135-141.
- Wolf, M. (2007). Proust and the the squid - The story and science of the reading brain. Cambridge: Icon Books.
- Barsalou, L. (2008). Grounded cognition. Annual Review of Psychology, 59, 617-645.
- Hagoort, P. (2005). On Broca, brain, and binding: A new framework. Trends in Cognitive Science, 9, 416-423.
- Harm, M.W., & Seidenberg, M.S. (2004). Computing the meanings of words in reading: Cooperative division of labor between visual and phonological processes. Psychological Review, 111, 662-720.
On speech production
- Maess, B., Friederici, A.D., Damian, M., Meyer, A.S., & Levelt, W.J.M. (2002). Semantic category interference in overt picture naming: Sharpening current density localization by PCA. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 14, 455-462.